Monday, March 13, 2006

VAJRAPANI INSTITUTE

I had heard of Lama Yeshe’s center in Boulder Creek before I came to America in 1977. I was staying with students of Lama’s in Berkeley and when Lama Yeshe arrived in the spring of 78 I told him I would stay at Vajrapani over the summer.
“So short?” he said.
Two words from him could have a lot of power; I ended up staying more than thirteen years!
When I came, only a year had passed since the land had been given and all there was, besides a multitude of redwoods, was a few makeshift cabins and three tepees. We thought it would take a couple of years to build the center, but it took about 15 years. I assisted in designing the main building:


It never was painted quite as fancy as this sketch, but it did get the eyes of Buddha:


I did some of the carvings:



I also painted the altar in the meditation room for small group retreats:


and I build my own cabin:


During these years I painted mostly thankas (Tibetan paintings). Here is one with the Vajrapani land as background – later I will post others.

2 comments:

Merlin said...

That's incredible. Your life seems so rich with art and full of spirit, and spiritual experiences. Was it at the end of the 13 year stay that you met my dad? Was that the reason you left?

If so, that speaks pretty highly of him.

Maybe you left because it was embarrassing that a friend of yours tried to burn down the retreat institute... :)

I am very glad to know you.

Bold oy! said...

The story is on your blog as a comment.