Friday, January 16, 2009

TWOANGLE

I am doing another series of ten pictures. The theme is figurative expressions of the numbers from 1 to 10.

I began with the triangle – that’s the one I posted for New Years.
You all know what the pink triangle means, but that’s just my personal gay joke. Here the form of the triangle symbolizes Being, the eye in the middle is pure Awareness and the color pink stands for Bliss. This is the trinity of the Great Spirit taught in Hinduism as Sat-Chit-Ananda.
The signature symbolizes the single Awareness of the worshipper floating in rapture because I let A stand for Awareness.

When I was in school in Denmark we had the letter ‘Aa’ which is pronounced like an open ‘O’. Later the Swedish form ‘Å’ was adopted and I used it in spelling my name ‘Åge’.
So, with A standing for Awareness, Å would stand for Double Awareness, that is Self-Awareness, and it is in this sense that I now use it in this series.

Representing higher numbers is simple enough but going back to two and one poses a problem.
If you shrink one side in a square until it disappears, you’ll end up with a Triangle; in the same way if you shrink one side in a Triangle you get a ‘Twoangle’ - and it looks like a Line.
A Line, for example the line between the sunny and the shady side of the street, is a symbol of separation, which again is the basic principle of Duality. So this days picture is an attempt at a pictorial representation of the number 2 with a bit of philosophy thrown in.

No comments: