Sunday, March 04, 2007

Adam

From my diary, June 1987:

Hans came with his son Adam whom I had not seen since he was five – now he is nineteen. I could hardly believe it was the same person. As a small boy he was dense and chubby, very strong-willed and sometimes quite wild. Now he is tall and bony, polite and reasonable.
We had one memory in common: one day in the house in Älmeboda he was overly excited and I took him in my lap and held him very tight, and I told him: “When you relax completely I will let you go.” As soon as I loosened my grip on him he tried to get away and I held tight again.
It took a long time before I could let go of him without he tried to bolt, but in the end he relaxed and we sat for sometime peacefully together. His warm little body in my lap was pleasant – maybe even a bit exciting - and he must have liked it too, for even when I told him he was free to go, he didn’t go right away.
When I thought of him this was what came to mind and apparently it had also made a deep impression on his mind since this was the one thing he remembered, and he said it had been good for him.

No comments: