Thursday, February 08, 2007

From Nepal

Among the friends who came to Lama Yeshe’s teachings in Kopan were Lena, Nick’s girlfriend, and Høne with her new American boyfriend, Chris. Lena was living with Nick in a house in the fields outside Bodhanath and it was in their home I first met Chris. He was part Native American, pale with long straight dark hair. That first night he didn’t say a word, and he intrigued me. He was living with Høne in one of the houses that circled Bodhanath stupa. From these houses, looking out one side there was the stupa, looking out the other side there was rice fields and the mountains in the distance.

Chris

I became a frequent visitor in their house. Chris had many fantastic stories about out of body experiences and other supernatural phenomena. I took acid with him and had one such thing happen. We were looking at the starry sky and had located Gemini and Leo. “I don’t see Cancer,” I said, “it should be there in between.” Then, suddenly, we saw it: a radiant picture of the crab, and it was like the whole sky was a network of luminous correlations. I felt that this was how the ancients must have seen it and named it.

Bodhanath stupa

Nick and Lena took care of a puppy that was born in their house. He was named Skorpe (Danish for Rind) because they fed him cheese rinds. He became big and strong and was devoted to the different Danish households that he would often visit and where there was always some tidbit for him.
One time he came to my rescue. I came home late and when I passed the Bodhanath stupa a pack of feral dogs started barking aggressively at me and soon had me cornered, my back against the wall. Then one detached itself and jumped up to lick my face. It was Skorpe. As soon as the others saw that I was a friend they closed in on me with wagging tails and wanted to be petted. Later there was a raid on feral dogs, but Skorpe was too smart to take the bait of poisoned meat, maybe also less needy because of his Danish connections.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

can someone help me find ngawang chotak (Chris)
email: tg_sherpa@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

has anyone found NGAWANG CHOTAK?
lapizlight@yahoo.com

Bold oy! said...

I have not heard anything about Chotag for several years.